Sunday, July 11, 2010

Futures Game Running Diary: Bottom 1st

The best prospect showcase on the planet, the MLB Futures Game, is one of my favorite sporting events of the year. I get to watch all the guys I read so much about play at one time. AFter the game, my brain hurts as I try to process all I've seen into my long term memory. This year, I'll just write everything down.

Bottom of the First does not start off well for San Diego Padres Pitcher and World Team Starter Simon Castro. He falls behind everybody and throws a few wild pitches. Physically, his velocity is down. Scouting reports have him in the 94-96mph range with his fastball but he is mostly in the high 80s right now. Castro's fastball does have lots of movement, however. Castro seems very nervous pitching on such a big stage, a fact that may debunk the theory many scouts have that he'll eventually move to the bullpen and become a closer.

Team USA has a lot of speed at the top of its lineup. Tampa Bay Outfielder Desmond Jennings, Dodgers SS Dee Gordon and Phillies Right Fielder Domonic Brown all have serious wheels and enjoy using them as Castro throws another wild pitch.

Domonic Brown is pinch run for....Phillies fans everywhere hold their breath....Erin ANdrews tells us he tweaked his right hammy and should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment