Monday, June 6, 2011

MLB Draft Live Blog

The Oakland A's select Vanderbilt righty Sonny Gray.  Gray is one of the more interesting guys in this draft.  His fastball sits in the low 90s when he starts but plays up when he comes out of the pen.  He has a nasty curveball but lacks a third pitch.  Reports have indicated that he's changed the grip on his changeup recently to a more "vulcan-like" grip that Roy Halladay and Tim Lincecum employ and the results have been good.  Gray is very small (5' 10") and has a violent delivery which, along with the lack of 3rd pitch) have many pegging him as a bullpen guy.  I am usually very conservative, even pessimistic, when it comes to evaluating pitchers, so I am in the camp that pegs him as a power reliever.  However, if I'm the A's, I'm letting him try his hand with this new changeup in my High-A roation next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment